Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Day 1: Cleveland


DANNY:  Going to the airport, I didn't know what to expect. Landing in an open field with no concrete buildings was refreshing. We weren't really sure what we were going to do since everything was so last minute, and we weren't able to secure a screening as early as today. But we made good use of the day by our grassroots efforts to spread our movie and message to two community colleges in Berea and Cleveland. At Baldwin Wallace Community College, we found the Student Activities representative who is going to give copies of our DVD to the head of their Political Science department and to the political student groups on campus. The second college was Tri-C (Cyahoga Community College). The Director of Student Support Services was really receptive to our message and helping us pass out our film. She took five copies for the newly elected Senator of Ohio State University, Poli Sci professors and student government reps. We were also able to connect to another group called REAL MEN, a group similar to CUNY's Black Male Initiative.

SHON:  It was a good day today. I wasn't too sure about how many screenings we were going to get, but things turned out better than I thought. I know today that we made a success, and I know we will do even more on the other days. Mom, I love you.

TIDIANE:  Waking up early and coming to the airport was kind of interesting. I haven't done that for a long time. Knowing that I was getting on a plane to Ohio, so far the trip was going well. After going to different colleges and meeting different peoples, I'm realizing more and more that not everything is the same - colleges in New York City are different than those here. And even the ones we saw today in Ohio were so different. I'm very excited to be here and thanks to EVC for giving the opportunity to be here.

No comments: